“You painted a naked woman because you enjoyed looking at her, put a mirror in her hand and you called the painting “Vanity,” thus morally condemning the woman whose nakedness you had depicted for your own pleasure.” – John Berger, Ways of Seeing
Hello. It’s a very dreary Wednesday, and I must admit I am writing this in a rush, while my toddler uses my body as a human jungle gym, before we scramble out for our daily walk.
I have been thinking about “selfies-as-self-care” lately. I have been taking photos of myself since I first got my hands on a camera. I remember the rush of power in having a roll of film developed, and finding photos of myself where I felt I looked beautiful. My family criticized me as vain and self-absorbed, but I felt having control over my image, and seeing myself as I wanted to be seen, to be a very healing thing. I maintain that if you’re mad at someone for liking their own face (or *trying* to like their own face), your priorities are out of whack. I’ve been having a tough couple of weeks for body image. Whenever I’m PMSing, I invariably go through a period of thinking “That’s it, I’ve finally lost my looks FOR GOOD!!” and wallowing in the despair of it all. Last night I even cut myself a set of “mentally unhinged” super short baby bangs, as I’m wont to do from time to time. I am going to try to take a selfie I like today and post it on insta, and I hope you will do the same. What about you guys, what do you think about “selfies-as-self-care”? If you get a minute, please post a selfie today, and tag me in it. I want to see all of your faces !
On to the Links!
• A man’s fitbit captured the exact minute his heart was broken
• From Romper, Parenting Expectations vs. Reality
• I am (obviously) a huge fan of 80s/90s PoMo & am all over this new line of Ettore Sotsass furniture from Kartell
• I loved this piece from Nubby Twiglet, about pursuing your dreams when you’re no Spring Chicken
• Just look at this INSANELY AMAZING early 70s time-capsule of an apartment. Not a hair out of place. Want it!!
• Or this much more expensive, gorgeous, West Coast Modern mansion on the sea, in North Van
• The Late Aaron Swartz, on School
• One of my side-dreams is to get into pottery, and I found this video mesmerizing.